We are currently experiencing a major evolution of the MSBI reporting toolset in accordance with the Microsoft BI Roadmap announced in October 2015. This diagram depicts current state the way I understand it:
Also, here's a short video walking through the diagram: http://www.blue-granite.com/blog/video-overview-of-microsoft-bi-reporting-tool-integration.
Each item above is "tagged" with where it is originally created:
- Analytical reports: produced in Excel
- Interactive reports: produced in Power BI Desktop
- Paginated reports: produced in Reporting Services (SSDT) or Report Builder
- Mobile reports: produced in the Mobile Report Publisher (previously Datazen)
The four primary report types are in the process of becoming more deeply integrated into:
- The Power BI Service (a cloud service), and
- Reporting Services portal (on-premises portal option - note that it requires SQL Server 2016 in native mode).
As you'll see on the above diagram, every report type isn't compatible everywhere yet though I expect we'll see that over time. As things evolve, I'll keep the diagram updated. Hope you find it useful!
Following is how each of the report types look in the SSRS portal and Power BI currently: